Friday, August 3, 2012

El Jarrito - An Authentic Mexican Restaurant

I have to admit, I was overwhelmed when I stepped into El Jarrito.  Overwhelmed by the decor that is....there were shiny tinsel-sly Mexican ornaments hanging from every place there is to hang stuff. There's a fountain, tiki huts on the patio, carousel horses, AND a lone karaoke singer straight from the Lido deck.  I was, however, underwhelmed by the standard fare Tex-Mex chimichanga's and faitas  - not bad but not great.  Did I mention the margarita's were three ice cubes shy of being completely watered down?  They were.  I was slightly impressed I was able to order a Negro Modelo which is surprisingly missing from most Houstonian menu's.  And, if you enjoy being totally ignored by the waitstaff, then this is most definitely the place for you.  I retrieved two forks, another beer, a few napkins, and my own appetizer from the bar during my dining experience.  I felt obligated to tip myself extra well.   However, the decor makes up for the mediocre menu and really bad service - the patio is huge and spacious and great for conversation, there's a sandbox within view for the offspring, tiki huts with seating for large parties, live entertainment albeit questionable, and an endless sea of south-of-the-border kitschy ornamentation hanging from everywhere - I mean everywhere.  Definitely worth the visit if only once.

db


Until next time, take the stairs - its just one more floor.


No comments:

Post a Comment